If you’re feeling frustrated and discouraged because, despite your efforts to improve your real estate investing skills, you still can’t seem to find success, then you are not alone!
In this episode, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of realistic target-setting for triumphant outcomes.
- Grasp the detrimental effect of ‘shoulds’ on your mindset and establishing goals.
- Hone your ability to triumph over disheartening self-talk using affirmative self-contemplation.
- Appreciate the impact that careful language choices can have on goal-setting efficacy.
- Develop the skill of dividing goals into achievable tasks to maintain interest and make headway.
Our special guest is Nancy Morris who delves into the harmful effects of ‘shoulds’ on our mindset and goal-setting. Nancy’s background in functional MRIs and language has given her a unique understanding of how our thoughts and words can shape our success, particularly for real estate investors.
With her delightful sense of humour and knack for sparking “aha” moments, Nancy provides invaluable guidance for those battling negative self-talk and seeking to improve their mindset.
The resources mentioned in this episode are:
- Identify your desired outcomes and break them down into sub-desired outcomes and performance goals.
- Focus on actions and decisions within your control, rather than external factors.
- Avoid using the word should and challenge it when you hear it in your self-talk.
- Share this conversation with someone you trust and ask them to point out when you are shoulding on yourself.
- Remember that disappointment is natural, but beating yourself up is a learned behaviour that can be unlearned.
- Take care of yourself and practice self-compassion, especially when things don’t go as planned.
Nancy Morris, Psychologist (MSc in Applied Psychology)
Nancy Morris is a Business & Performance Psychology Consultant, Speaker, and Author. She has 19 years of academics under her belt and is about to pursue a Ph.D. Some of her clients refer to her as an “un-guru” – a no-nonsense specialist in translating the academic theories of business psychology and people development into actionable insight for the real world.
For almost 20 years, Nancy’s science-backed systems have helped thousands of solopreneurs and self-employed professionals (e.g./ lawyers, commercial and residential real estate agents) master the mind game of productivity, creating more consistent revenue and feeling more confident, focused, and valuable at work.
Nancy’s real difference is that she doesn’t float on a cloud with idealistic platitudes or arrive on a stage with fireworks and empty hype. She delivers proven, science-backed advice and ongoing strategy in a system that simply works. She is the same person out at the pub and behind the podium. She is not about pantsuits, long-winded speeches, or pie-in-the-sky ideals. Instead, she cracks jokes, gets vulnerable, doesn’t pull any punches, and says what you need to hear and how you need to hear it while laughing along as your outcomes are improved.
Nancy has written the book on procrastination called Procrastinate Now: Rethinking Time Management and listeners can download it for free from her website.